82. Memorandum From the National Security Council Staff Secretary (Dodson) to the Executive Secretary of the Department of State (Tarnoff) and the Office of the Secretary of Defense1
- Joint State–Defense Memoranda on Arms Sales to the ROC2
The recommendations of a February 28, NSC-chaired Inter-agency meeting on possible arms sales to the Republic of China have been reviewed. You should be aware of the following decisions:
1. The following requests by the ROC should begin the clearance process this Spring, including an assessment of when the two Howitzer sales could be accommodated within the arms sales ceiling:
• 100 155mm self-propelled Howitzers.
• 100 8-inch Howitzers.
• 150 M–48 A–1 unserviceable tanks for cannibalization.[Page 300]
• Four PPS–43 mobile radar systems.
• A low-altitude aircraft detection system.
2. Consideration of the third Hawk battalion should be deferred.
3. Major requests for arms (i.e., jet aircraft—F–4s, additional F–5s, or Kfir fighters—the Harpoon missile; or the Maverick) should be the subject of a separate analysis and possible PRC meeting.