Washington, undated[Page 1]
- The Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs
- The Deputy Secretary of Defense
- The Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- The Director of Central Intelligence
In order to assist Mulla Mustafa Barzani and the Iraqi Kurds in their resistance against the Bathi Iraqi regime, the President has directed that the following actions be taken:
- —The U.S. will provide the sum of [text not declassified] over one year, or a total of $3 million. Director Helms will furnish this assistance through his channels.
- —The U.S. will also supply roughly $2 million in supplies (exclusive of transportation costs). The ordnance is to be delivered via CIA channels.
Henry A. Kissinger
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 138, Kissinger Office Files, Kissinger Country Files, Middle East, Kurdish Problem Vol. I, June ′72–Oct. ′73. Secret; Sensitive; Exclusively Eyes Only. Kissinger approved the idea that Rob Roy Ratliffe would handle the matter henceforth, adding a note that “he should see me.” This document was Tab B to a July 31 memorandum from Tom Latimer of the National Security Council Staff to Haig. (Ibid.)↩
- Kissinger advised the 40 Committee principles that the President had authorized funds and supplies to assist Barzani’s resistance movement.↩