2. National Security Study Memorandum 61
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Secretary of the Treasury
- The Director of Central Intelligence
- The Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Review of NATO Policy Alternatives
The President has directed a review of US policy toward NATO. The review should consider alternatives with reference to policy in general and to specific issues including US troop levels, German offset negotiations, US nuclear relations with the UK and France, an examination of political consultation practices within NATO and our interests and policies with respect to them, and US attitudes toward intra-European defense cooperation.
The President has directed that the NSC Interdepartmental Group for Europe perform this review and that the Secretary of the Treasury designate a representative to sit on the Group for this purpose. The chairman may invite other agencies to send representatives to particular meetings of the Group.
An initial paper should be forwarded to the NSC Review Group by March 3, 1969.
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 365, Subject Files, National Security Study Memoranda (NSSM’s)—Nos. 1 thru. Secret.↩