12. National Security Decision Memorandum 2391
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Director of Central Intelligence
- National Net Assessment Process
The President has directed that the responsibility for the national net assessment program be assigned to the Secretary of Defense. The Secretary of Defense should conduct the national net assessment program with the assistance of the Secretary of State and the Director of Central Intelligence.
NSDM 224, National Net Assessment Process, and NSSM 186, National Net Assessment of the Comparative Costs and Capabilities of U.S. and Soviet Military Establishments, are rescinded.2 However, the study required by NSSM 186 should be completed under the supervision of the Secretary of Defense.
Copies of all future completed net assessment studies should be forwarded to the Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs for his information.
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, NSC Institutional Files (H-Files), Box H–243, Policy Papers, 1969–1974, National Security Decision Memoranda, NSDM 239. Confidential. A copy was sent to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.↩
- NSDM 224 is Document 8. NSSM 186, September 1, is Document 139, Foreign Relations, 1969–1976, vol. XXXV, National Security Policy, 1973–1976.↩