223. National Security Decision Memorandum 1841
Washington, August 14, 1972.
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Director, Office of Emergency Preparedness
- The Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare
- The Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission
- United States Civil Defense Policy
The President has reviewed the Ad Hoc Group’s response to NSSM 57,2 U.S. civil defense policy, and the views of the interested agencies.
The President has:
- —Decided that the U.S. shall maintain the current overall level of effort in its civil defense activities.
- —Directed that there be increased emphasis on dual-use plans, procedures and preparedness within the limitations of existing authority, including appropriate related improvements in crisis management planning.
Henry A. Kissinger