102. Memorandum for the Record1
Washington, January 23, 1975.
- 40 Committee Decisions
At a meeting of the 40 Committee on 22 January 1975 it was decided that:
- • The Department of State would obtain our Ambassador’s views regarding CIA’s proposed Portugal operations.
- • Covert support for Holden Roberto was approved in the amount of [dollar amount not declassified]2
[Omitted here are decisions unrelated to Portuguese Africa.]
Rob Roy Ratliff
The 40 Committee
- Source: Department of State, INR/IL Historical Files, Intelligence Committee Report File, 40 Committee, January 22, 1975. Secret; Sensitive; Eyes Only. Drafted on January 23. Distributed to Clements, Sisco, General Brown, and Colby.↩
- Handwritten notes on the portion of the record of the meeting pertaining to a proposed program in Angola stated: “This matter has been resolved by the Secretary’s decision to limit our covert action in Angola to continuation of a subsidy to Holden Roberto.” (Ibid.)↩