401. Intelligence Information Special Report1
Washington, October 13, 1966.
- United Nations
DATE OF INFO.
- 10 October 1966
- Continued Interest of the Secretary General of the United Nations, U Thant, in a Second Full Term
[less than 1 line of source text not declassified]
[4 lines of source text not declassified]
- The Secretary General of the United Nations, U Thant, is still thinking of serving another full term but, for tactical reasons, wants to defer his decision to a time beyond the expiration of his present term on [Page 873] 3 November 1966. For the time being he is interested in an extension until the end of the year. He envisages that the extension would be recommended by the Security Council to the General Assembly and would be granted, without a vote, by the General Assembly on the recommendation of the President of the Assembly, who would announce that the extension would be in accordance with the wishes of the Secretary General.
- About the end of November the Secretary General would advise the Security Council of his willingness to accept a new full term. His thinking assumes some progress by that time on the question of voluntary contributions and possibly on Vietnam.
- Source: Johnson Library, National Security File, Agency File, United Nations, Vol. 5. Secret; No Foreign Dissem; Controlled Dissem; No Dissem Abroad; Background Use Only. Prepared in the Central Intelligence Agency.↩