494. Paper Prepared in the Central Intelligence Agency1
- [cryptonym not declassified]
1. It is requested that Project [cryptonym not declassified] be terminated on 31 March 1967. The project was first approved on 13 August 1964, in partial implementation of a 303 Committee decision 13 August 1964, approving covert aid at a level of [dollar amount not declassified] to support the Congo (Kinshasa) central government against the rebels. To this end, a wide variety of activities were mounted under this project, but by the renewal for FY 1967 they had been reduced to two: covert support of President Mobutu and the maintenance of a maritime patrol capability on Lake Tanganyika.
2. Termination of this project is requested because changed political conditions in the Congo have eliminated the need for a continuation of the above activities. Rebel activity in the eastern Congo has all but ended. Mobutu is seeking to project an African nationalist image of himself and his government and has not requested further covert funding since the payment due him for September 1966. 303 Committee authority to make such payments expired on 31 December 1966, and there are no present plans to request authority for a new series of [Page 723] payments. In compliance with a 303 decision of 4 November 1966, to phase out U.S. Government participation in the maritime program, control of the boats was transferred to the Congolese authorities on 7 January 1967. All [less than 1 line not declassified] personnel exclusively connected with the maritime program have been withdrawn from the Congo.
3. Unused funds revert to the [less than 1 line not declassified].
4. There have been no risks to any elements of [less than 1 line not declassified] including [cryptonym not declassified] arising out of this termination. All equipment involved in the operation has either been turned over to the Congolese Government or withdrawn. There are no outstanding commitments.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–02502R, DDO/ISS Files, Box 1, [cryptonym not declassified]/ Dev. & Plans, [text not declassified], Aug. ’64 thru Jan. 1967. Secret. There is no drafting information on the original.↩
- On May 5, Karamessines signed a CIA Project Action Form approving termination of the project effective March 31, 1967. (Ibid.)↩