157. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the Station in the Congo1
Dir 87720. Ref Leop 9211 (In 7478[?]).2
1. [former COS] arriving Sabena flt 301 2005 local time 9 Dec. Hope Station can get lodging.3
2. ODACID has asked [former COS] in contact [Mobutu] to:
A. Reassure [Mobutu] on continuity ODYOKE policy.
B. Determine attitudes towards ANC retraining, not about equipment.
C. Urge him cooperate with [UN] forces in action against gendarmes, formation joint patrols, and of course in phase out.
D. Urge him cooperate with [cryptonym not declassified].
E. Point out necessity avoid appearance of joint ODYOKE in any training [less than 1 line not declassified] activity.
3. In any contacts with [cryptonym not declassified] team ODACID has requested [former COS] determine their attitude toward [Identity 1] and terms and possibility his return Congo, and also position and role which [Identity 2] currently plays within the [cryptonym not declassified].
4. Suggest that [COS] after discussion with [former COS] might wish arrange reception for [cryptonym not declassified] group as appropriate opportunity explore above request and permit [former COS] pay respects while avoiding involvement in individual visits to each [cryptonym not declassified]. [former COS] will enlarge on above.4
End of message.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–00435R, DDO/ISS Files, Box 2, Folder 7, [cryptonym not declassified] Operations. Secret; [cryptonym not declassified]; Immediate. Drafted by [name not declassified], coordinated with [text not declassified], authenticated by [text not declassified], and released by Fields [text not declassified].↩
- Not found.↩
- CIA telegram 87023 to Leopoldville, December 5, informed the Station that at the urging of the Department of State, the Agency had agreed to have the former Chief of Station stop over in Leopoldville en route to Salisbury and other points in Africa in order to contact Mobutu and enlist his cooperation in pushing the ANC retraining program. (Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–00435R, DDO/ISS Files, Box 2, Folder 7, [cryptonym not declassified] Operations)↩
- No record of the former Chief of Station’s conversations in Leopoldville has been found.↩