128. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the Station in the Congo1
Dir 04450. Ref: Dir 04151.2
1. HQS continues seek guidance re coup which subj under active discussion ODACID. Crux of debate is what can be asked from [Identity 1] in return for ODYOKE coup support e.g. more conciliatory attitude toward Tshombe, agreement not accept Bloc offers, legal amnesty, etc. Expect ODACID position will crystalize next several days. HQS [Page 182] also injected request for prior guidance event Leop faced with request to support accomplished coup.
2. [Godley] reports ref para 1 B action has lost steam.
3. Should have answers on [aid to Congolese Air Force] by 14 Dec.
End of message.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency Files, Job 78–00435R, DDO/ISS Files, Box 1, Folder 12, [cryptonym not declassified] Operations. Secret; Rybat; [cryptonym not declassified]; Priority. Drafted and authenticated by [name not declassified] and released by Tweedy (C/AF).↩
- Ref gave results of Congo Working Group mtg 10 Dec. [Footnote in the original.] Reporting on the Congo Working Group meeting on December 10, CIA telegram 04151 to Leopoldville, December 10, stated that the Department of State was avoiding focusing on the coup problem, even though it was aware that continued support of the [cryptonym not declassified] was necessary and that [cryptonym not declassified] survival was probably dependent on some type of extra-legal action; it was also apparent that State decisions would be based more on preempting the Bloc than on supporting the [cryptonym not declassified]. (Ibid.)↩