114. Circular Telegram From the Acting Secretary of State to All Diplomatic Missions in the American Republics1
841. Embassy Panama reports that on June 2 President Arias will present to each American Ambassador draft declaration and program for Panama meeting requesting that comments of governments be submitted to Council of OAS for harmonization by it. Department feels this will improve prospects full attendance. FYI Prospects indicate good attendance, nevertheless importance to US world prestige of maximum attendance justifies continuing discreet effort obtain additional firm commitments and prevent cancellations without creating impression attendance constitutes favor to US or that US prime mover. End FYI. Your discretion utilize following points:
- Successful Panama meeting will considerably enhance world prestige Inter-American system and Latin America’s influence world affairs. On contrary unsuccessful meeting will diminish present [Page 443] prestige American system. Thus no President can take apathetic attitude.
- Meeting affords only opportunity President Eisenhower establish personal relationship each American President thus strengthening inter-American cooperation during his Administration.
- Spectacle large number American Presidents assembling will greatly strengthen cause free world.
- Proposed declaration Panama can mark vigorous restatement determination American republics progress as community.
- Successful meeting will inevitably strengthen OAS enabling it become more effective factor for peace and development hemisphere.
- Source: Department of State, Central Files, 362/6–156. Secret; Priority; Limit Distribution. Drafted and approved by Holland.↩