In a memorandum to the National Security Council, dated April 28, 1954, Mr. Lay stated the following: “In response to a request from the Operations Coordinating Board the President has this date designated the OCB as the coordinating agency for the current NSC policy on Latin America contained in NSC 144/1.” (S/P–NSC files, lot 62 D 1, NSC 144/1)
The OCB was established on September 2, 1953, in pursuance of Executive Order 10483, for the purpose of strengthening the national security machinery by providing for the coordinated interdepartmental implementation of national security policies approved by the President after consideration in the National Security Council. The Board originally consisted of the Under Secretary of State, who served as chairman, the Deputy Secretary of Defense, the Director of the Foreign Operations Administration, the Director of Central Intelligence, and the Special Assistant to the President. The Director of the United States Information Agency and the Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs acted as advisers to the OCB. The Board met once a week on Wednesdays; meeting sites rotated among the offices of [Page 45] the designated members. Within the Department of State, the Operations Coordinator was responsible for the coordination of operational planning, and he constituted the normal channel of communication between the Department and the executive officer and staff of the OCB. For additional information concerning the formation of the OCB, see the Department of State Bulletin, September 28, 1953, pages 420–422. For documentation relating to the activities of the OCB, see volume II.