177. Telegram From the CIA Station in Guatemala to Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida1
Guatemala City, June 9, 1954, 2308Z.
791. Re: LINC 3631.2
- King Program.3 Following from Page ETD Guat City 10 June 1200 hours on PAA flight 444. ETA Miami same day.
- Ref LINC 3631 (IN 15716). Your message very heartening, but developments make imperative Page proceed LINC at least for consultation. No reason why can not return WSBURNT soonest if operational and security considerations warrant. Recent correspondence re [name not declassified] suggests LINCOLN/King Program gears no longer mesh.4 Either Page at fault in not clearly conveying substance [name not declassified] plans or LINCOLN unwilling consider any suggestions not strictly in line original PBSUCCESS concept. Due lack specific instructions [name not declassified] operation has deteriorated into academic exercise.
- ESQUIRE ETD 9 June. ETD New Orleans for WSBURNT 15 June. Visiting dying father in Chicago. Suggest ESQUIRE, Nutting and Page have joint discussion o/a 15 June.
- Source: Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 11, Folder 3. Secret; Priority; RYBAT; PBSUCCESS. Repeated to the Director of Central Intelligence.↩
- Document 175.↩
- Page reported a June 7 conversation with ESQUIRE as follows: “The consistency of our sponsoring on the one hand Calligeris and on the other hand wooing the High Command via [name not declassified] has not escaped him. I explained to him that the ‘consejo’ is anxious to have a second string to its bow. Furthermore the hope has not been given up entirely that at some future juncture it may be possible to phase together both efforts. I assured him that the consejo was giving continuous thought to this problem.” (Memorandum, June 7; Central Intelligence Agency, Job 79–01025A, Box 134, Folder 1)↩