175. Telegram From Operation PBSUCCESS Headquarters in Florida to the CIA Chief of Station in Guatemala1
[place not declassified], June 8, 1954, 2328Z.
3631. Re: GUAT 773.2
- Despite compromise PBSUCCESS moving forward apace. Compromise cost only top echelon and plans that events have invalidated anyway. But mass of organization remains intact and in state of near-readiness.
- RO’s, organizers, sab leaders presently being launched. They will contact unburned second, third echelon and proceed as planned.
- Numerous 5-man harassment teams being readied for launching, with mission attack Commies and Commie property, but not attack army.
- Capacity to air supply friendly internal forces should exist soon.
- Shock troops moving to WSHOOFS staging sites. High degrees of readiness, both in proficiency and spirit.
- More leaflet drops, intensified SHERWOOD programs contemplated.
- It would therefore be regrettable if, by your departure, you would tend confirm apparent impression of setback to PBSUCCESS. On contrary, your mission now to counteract [name not declassified] depression and destroy whatever smugness/fatalism has arisen among army through Semantic compromise.
- If SWALLOW your sole channel after ESQUIRE departure, make maximum use to convey “You ain’t seen nothing yet” theme to SMILAX, SUMAC–2, etc. This might begin soonest. Events in next week may make you appear as prophet and man worth doing business with.
- Would be unfortunate you leave on eve of authentication you have been requesting.
- Request you weigh foregoing in light security and operational factors and advise your considered conclusions for LINC decision.
- Also request you attempt retain ESQUIRE in place during forthcoming period.