The Acting Secretary of State to the Secretary of State, at New York
Gadel 9. Fol for Allison from Johnson. Confirming our tele conversation, fol is revised text substantive portion UK Res:1
- That all necessary steps be taken to ensure conditions of peace and security throughout the whole of Korea;
- That all necessary measures be taken to accomplish the economic rehabilitation of Korea; [Page 783]
- That such constituent acts as are necessary, including the holding of elections, be taken under the auspices of the United Nations’ to complete the establishment of a unified, independent and democratic government of all Korea;
- That United Nations forces do not remain in either the northern or southern part of Korea longer than is necessary for achieving the objectives specified in (a), (b) and (c) above.
- A commission consisting of —— to be known as the United Nations Special Commission for Korea be established to (1) assume the functions hitherto exercised by the present United Nations Commission on Korea; (2) consult with the designated representative in Korea of the Unified Command (US Govt), and the ROK in helping to carry out the recommendations made above; (3) exercise such responsibilities, if any, in connection with relief and rehabilitation in Korea as may be determined by the Gen Assembly after receiving the recommendations of the ECOSOC; (4) proceed to Korea and begin to carry out its functions as soon as possible.
- Pending the arrival of the UN Special Commission in Korea, Govts represented on the Commission shld form an interim comite composed of their permanent representatives at the seat of the UN to consult with and advise the UN Unified Command (USG) in the light of the above recommendations.
The General Assembly furthermore,
Mindful of the fact that at the end of the present hostilities the task of rehabilitating the Korean economy will be of great magnitude, requests the ECOSOC, in consultation with the specialized agencies, to develop plans for relief and rehabilitation on the termination of hostilities, to recommend organizational machinery for implementing a relief and rehabilitation program and to report to the General Assembly on or before November——.”