396.1 LO/5–1250: Telegram
The Secretary of State to the Acting Secretary of State
Secto 233. Following is
suggested revision draft tripartite statement on arms shipments
and security NE received from
Following is preliminary comment:
- Revision in the order of presentation of points accords with suggestion of Secretary (Secto 218, May 11).1
- Revision in paragraph 2 to indicate necessary assurances already received is designed to meet British treaty complications and also is in accord discussion between Bevin and Secretary (Secto 218). Paragraph as drafted, however, does not cover except possibly by implication countries other than those to which arms being currently shipped. We are discussing this further with the British.
- There are also certain minor drafting points, such as the use of term Middle East in paragraph 2 which should be changed so as make clear application is only to Arab states and Israel.
- Basic elements in text approved by Department in Tosec 1532 retained unimpaired in above draft.
- Method of prior approach to Arab states and Israel still under discussion. Wright indicated yesterday FonOff felt obligated immediately make preliminary and informed approach to Egypt and Jordan (but not Iraq at this point) without reference deliberations here in hope stimulate “voluntary” assurances and clear way for subsequent approaches these and other states by countries sponsoring statement. Fact that AL Political Committee is currently meeting in Cairo presents difficulty this connection since would probably be disastrous if approaches to Arab states and Israel became matter collective discussion there.
- French are not being brought into discussions pending further clarification with British.
- British also submitted draft identic statement which conforms mutatis mutandis exactly to the tripartite draft quoted above.