171. Note From the Executive Secretary of the National Security Council (Lay) to the National Security Council 1
- Memo for the Statutory Members of the NSC from Executive Secretary, subject: “The NSC 10 Series”, dated March 3, 19542
- NSC 10/23
- NSC 10/54
The President has this date approved the enclosed National Security Council directive on the subject, as submitted by the reference memorandum and adopted by the other statutory members of the National Security Council, and directs its implementation by all executive departments and agencies of the U.S. Government concerned, as indicated therein.
Accordingly, as set forth in paragraph 7 of the enclosure, NSC 10/2, NSC 10/5 and certain provisions relating thereto of the President’s memorandum to the Executive Secretary, NSC, supplementing Executive Order 10483,5 are hereby superseded.
It is requested that special security precautions be observed in the handling of the enclosed directive and that access to it be very strictly limited on an absolute need-to-know basis.
It is further requested that all copies of the reference memorandum be returned to this office for destruction upon receipt of this report.
- Source: Eisenhower Library, Special Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs Records. Top Secret. Copies were sent to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Director of Central Intelligence, and the Executive Officer, Operations Coordinating Board.↩
- Not found.↩
Foreign Relations, 1945–1950, Emergence of the Intelligence Establishment, Document 292.↩
- Document 90.↩
- See Documents 157 and 158.↩
- Printed from a copy that bears this typed signature.↩
- Top Secret.↩