The Ambassador in China (Stuart) to the Secretary of State
[Received May 5—1:05 a. m.]
935. We have taken following steps with respect to intrusion at Ambassador’s residence:
- Written protest made day following incident to Peace Preservation Committee with request it be called to attention appropriate military authorities;
- Following receipt Deptel 516, April 25, AMilAt27 approached 35th Army headquarters but unable reach anyone in authority;
- Written request made to Military Control Commission for appointment for AMilAt with Liu Po-cheng.
As these approaches have brought no reply and since likely impossible in near future deliver oral protest to highest military authority Nanking, suggest we present strong written protest addressed Chairman Military Control Commission.
Sent Department; repeated Shanghai 500, AmEmb Canton 352.
- Military Attaché, Brig. Gen. Robert H. Soule.↩