865.014/3–1749: Circular telegram
The Secretary of State to Certain Diplomatic and Consular Offices 1
Washington, March 17, 1949—2 a. m.
[Reference] Depcirtel Nov. 26, 1948, 3 a. m.2 In replying to official inquiries re Itcols you may state present US position:
- Somaliland be placed under UN trusteeship system with Italy as admin auth under Trusteeship Agreement to he negotiated between Ital and TC.
- Eritrea—Cession to Ethio all of Eritrea except Western Province, Itals formerly resident in Eritrea allowed to return to their homes. Appropriate guaranties sought to protect human rights all inhabitants territory, thus providing protection rights both Itals resident Eritrea and those who may return.
- US remains committed support UK trusteeship for Cyrenaica.
- US favors minimum period of trusteeship in order achieve independence for inhabitants of Libya at earliest practicable date.
- Disposition Western Province of Eritrea, Tripolitania and Fezzan being given further consideration. Will inform soonest.
- Sent to American diplomatic missions at Ankara, Athens, Baghdad, Bangkok, Cairo, Canberra, Jidda, Kabul, Karachi, Manila, Nanking (repeated to Canton), New Delhi, Pretoria, Rangoon, Tehran, Wellington, Addis Ababa, Beirut, Damascus, and Monrovia.↩
- For text, see Foreign Relations, 1948, vol. iii, p. 961.↩