Marshall Mission Files, Lot 54–D270
Draft Proposal by the Chinese Government68
Draft of Supplemental Methods to Real Application “Regarding the Basic Plan of Army Reorganization and Integration of Communist Army into the National Army”69
- Because of the Communist demand to increase its army allocated to
Manchuria, the dispositions of the armies stipulated in Section 4,
Item 5 of the Basic Plan are adjusted as follows:
- At the end of the 18 months, the disposition of each army should be as follows: (In North East, the integration will be completed 2 months earlier.)
- In North East—One army consists of 2 National divisions and one Communist division, with one Nationalist as Army Commander. One army consists of one National division and two Communist divisions, with a Communist as Army Commander. Four armies (3 divisions per army) consist entirely of Nationalists troops and with Nationalists as Army Commanders—total six armies. In North China—Three armies, each consists of two Communist divisions and one National division, with Communists as Army Commanders. One Army consists of two National divisions and one Communist division with a Nationalist as Army Commander. Four armies (each consists of three divisions) consist of all Nationalist troops with Nationalists as Army Commanders—total eight armies.
- To solve the disputes in the North East, the disposition of each
army in the North East is fixed as below, so that the opposing
situation [Page 1036]can be
eliminated. (All based on units of regiments to be concentrated and
- Army with Communist as Commander (two Communist divisions and one Nationalist division) is to be stationed in Hei Lung Chiang Province with army headquarters at Nun Kiang. One division to be stationed at Aihun70 and north of the city (based on units of regiments to be concentrated and trained); one division to be stationed at the vicinity of Peian (based on units of regiments to be concentrated and trained). One division to be stationed at vicinity of Suihua (Nationalist Division).
- The army organized with two Nationalist divisions and one Communist division is to be stationed at Hsin-An Province with army headquarters at Hailar, one division to be stationed at Lubing71 (based on units of regiments to be concentrated and trained); one division to be stationed at vicinity of Poketu; one division to be stationed at the vicinity of Sa-ma-chieh-kan-Ho (Communist division).
- Remaining Nationalists armies are to be allocated as—one army to be stationed in Ho-kiang and Sankiang Provinces; one army to be stationed in Nunkiang and Liaopei provinces; one army to be stationed in Kirin Province; one army to be stationed in Antung and Liaoning Provinces.
- In order to stabilize the North East and to facilitate the reorganization, the Communists forces in the North East should, within the above-mentioned troop disposition areas, begin to reorganize within one month and limit its complete integration in one month’s time.
- The stipulation in Section 1, Item 4 of the basic plan should be expeditiously supplemented. According to the stipulated proportion the number of personnel to be demobilized should be brought up to date in one reduction; and this figure should be based on a monthly reduction of one-twelfth of the total personnel to be demobilized effective from the date of the basic plan was signed. (Ending 25 June, 4/12s should be demobilized.) All the required charts and reports stipulated in the plan must be sent in within two weeks without any delay for any cause.
- In the same section of the basic plan, the stipulated plan for carrying out demobilization and reorganization, is to be made by 3 men sub-military committee. But if it cannot be made by the three men military sub-committee, it will be made by the Ministry of National Defense with instruction to carry it out, (or it will be made by the sub-committee with American as chairman). It is not necessary for both sides to discuss or approve, so that the time element in reorganization will not be delayed.
- To facilitate the restoration of communications, to eliminate the situation of war, the disposition of the reorganized army after the 12 months of the first period in North China will be as follows: (All based on units of regiments and concentrated in one area for training.) All armies with [will?] proceed and concentrate at their allocated areas before reorganization (concentration must be completed by the end of July), so that they will not obstruct the restoration of communications.
- The first integrated army group is to be stationed in Shantung. The headquarters of the army group is to be Lini, one army to be stationed along Tsingtao–Tsinan rail line (Nationalist Army); one army to be stationed at Fahsien, Yisui, Monyin area.
- The second integrated army group is to be stationed in Hopei and Northern Honan. Army Group Headquarters is to be at Peiping. One army to be stationed at Peiping, Shihchiachuang area; one army to be stationed at Changchih, Changtze and Chunliu area (Communist Army).
- The third integrated army group is to be stationed in Southern Shansi and Shensi. Army Group Headquarters is to be at Yenan. One army to be stationed at Suite, Paoan and Lu-shih. One army to be stationed at Lin-Fen, Hsun-Hsien, Yun-Chen and Ho-Tsin (Nationalist Army). The fourth integrated army group is to be stationed in Chahar and Sui Yuan. Army Group Headquarters is to be stationed in Sui Yuan. One army to be stationed west of Chi-ning, one army to be stationed at Chang-Pei and Kuo-yuan area.
- There are five Nationalist armies, with one in the vicinity of Tientsin, two in Shansi, and two in Jehol.
- The disposition of each army after completion of second stage integration (the six months after the initial twelve months.)
- The three armies with Communists as commanders are allocated as follows: one in vicinity of Lu-shih, one in vicinity of Changpei, one in vicinity of Lini.
- The reorganized army with one Communist division and two Nationalist divisions is to be stationed in the vicinity of Changchih.
- The four Nationalist armies: one in Peiping-Tientsin area, one in Jehol, one in Shansi, one in Suiyuan.
- After the Communist army has totally entered the reorganization area and begin[s] to integrate, the staff training with Americans as advisers can immediately begin and all necessary educational weapons will be issued at the same time.