860F.51/9–545: Telegram

The Ambassador in Czechoslovakia ( Steinhardt ) to the Secretary of State

314. The Dept may wish to consider desirability of suggesting to Export-Import Bank that while there is no reason negotiations should not be carried on with Czech authorities for loan, a definite commitment by bank might well be deferred until Czech nationalization program11 has been officially announced, in view of possibility that program may affect American interests in Czechoslovakia.12

  1. For a report of the Ambassador in Czechoslovakia’s conversation in July with Czechoslovak Prime Minister Zdenek Fierlinger regarding the nationalization plans of the Czechoslovak Government, see telegram 102, July 23, 10 p.m. from Prague, p. 478.
  2. Telegram 218, September 12, 1 p.m. to Prague, stated that the Department had suggested to Eximbank to defer definite loan commitment pending clarification of Czech nationalization program (860F.51/9–545).