294. Memorandum From the Director of the Policy Planning Staff (Kennan) to the Under Secretary of State (Lovett)0
The following are my suggestions, in the order named, for persons whom the Secretary could nominate as Chief of the Office of Special Projects under the Central Intelligence Agency:
- Frank Wisner
- Mathias F. Correa
- Irving Brown (representative of A.F. of L. in Paris and a very able and active citizen)
- Norris Chipman (Foreign Service Officer in Paris)
- Francis Stevens (now Chief of the Russian Division)
- John Davies (member of my Staff)
I am told there is little likelihood of getting Correa. I have no information as to Brown’s availability and feel that this would have to be considered a political appointment to be discussed first with William Green.
I have placed Wisner at the head of the list on the recommendations of people who know him. I personally have no knowledge of his ability, but his qualifications seem reasonably good, and I should think that it would be relatively easy to spare him for this purpose.
- Source: National Archives and Records Administration, RG 59, Records of the Department of State, Policy Planning Staff Files 1947–53: Lot 64 D 563, Box 11A. Top Secret.↩