831.6363/1633: Telegram

The Ambassador in Venezuela (Corrigan) to the Secretary of State

435. Terms of new concession bids cited in Department’s 259 [359], April 22, 1 p.m.,43 have been discussed with British Minister44 and are reported in air mail despatch leaving by today’s pouch.45 They involve an attempt to assure refining of 10% of Venezuelan crude in Venezuela and shipment of remaining 90% out of Caribbean area in crude form. Effect would be to by-pass Aruba and Curaçao. Proposal affects Shell46 interests much more vitally than it does our own.

Head of largest American producing company here considers this an administrative proposal which can be overcome and does not think it calls for diplomatic protests at this time.

  1. Not printed.
  2. Donald St. Clair Gainer.
  3. Despatch 5799, April 22, 1944, not printed.
  4. Royal Dutch Shell Company.