Memorandum by the Military Attaché in Mexico (Ryan) to the Ambassador in Mexico (Messersmith)14
Mexico City, 10 July 1944.
Subject: Training of First Mexican Fighter Squadron.
- In order to arrive at a definite plan for the accomplishment of
the necessary preliminary arrangements for the training of the First
Fighter Squadron, Mexican Air Force, the following procedure is
presented for your approval:
- Approval of the detailed plan (see Tabs “A” and “B”, attached15) by proper representatives of the Mexican Government and the United States Ambassador to the Mexican Government.
- Notification of the approval by the Mexican Government to the United States Department of State through the United States Ambassador.
- Immediate initiation of the formal request for this training by the Mexican Ambassador, Washington, D.C.,16 to the Assistant Chief of Staff, G–2, War Department,17 Washington, D.C, through the United States Department of State.
- Approval of the request and the detailed plan by the War Department, Washington, D.C.
- Upon approval of the formal request by the United States War Department, the Mexican Ambassador to submit the list of names of personnel to be trained to the War Department, G–2, for final action.
- The Mexican Ambassador to file immediately the necessary requisitions under Lend-Lease for Mexico.
- The attention of the Mexican Government should be invited to the fact that the procedure outlined herein refers only to the arrangements for the training of the squadron and includes no commitments or arrangements whatsoever for the subsequent employment or equipping of the unit.
L. O. Ryan
Colonel, Air Corps