The Ambassador in Poland ( Biddle ) to the Secretary of State
[Received August 21—7:50 a.m.]
189. As I have attempted to point out in recent cables the already grave political situation here tends to become more threatening daily.1 While recent developments have not been such as to indicate immediate military action against Poland nevertheless it should be remembered that the situation remains continually at the mercy of incidents, political or military, and that the final decision will depend largely upon the whim of one man. These facts together with the awkward geographical situation of this country in the case of war force me to conclude that I should be in a position should an emergency arise to permit families of officers and employees and such women employees as may desire to do so to leave Poland for a place of safety. Those remaining may be evacuated as circumstances and transportation facilities indicate. My chief concern now is for the children of officers at this post and it is planned that these should leave Warsaw within the next 2 or 3 days. It is contemplated that they shall depart for Scandinavian ports—preferably Stockholm or Copenhagen since it is possible to reach these ports at the present time by ship from Gdynia. In accordance with the Department’s instructions on this subject2 therefore permission for the payment of travel expenses and per diem allowances to these individuals is earnestly requested.
- For correspondence concerning increasing German pressure on Poland, April 15–August 21, 1939, see vol. i, pp. 168 ff.↩
- Circular instruction of March 21, 1939, vol. i, p. 574.↩