The Secretary of State to the Minister in Nicaragua (Lane)
Washington, March 2, 1936—2 p.m.
21. Following is present status of negotiations so far as the Department is concerned.[Page 806]
- We are approving position on point 7 in separate telegram leaving only point 3 at issue on which we have instructed you fully. As soon as you report definitively on these two points we will have agreement on the text of the general provisions.
- Spanish texts of Schedule I received this morning but we are still in doubt as to whether Nicaragua has agreed to Schedule I (with Notes I and II) in this form. No further progress seems possible here until we hear definitely from you on this question.
- Our maximum concessions on Schedule II have been communicated to you.
- Full powers are ready and can be telegraphed if needed.