The Ambassador in China (Johnson) to the Secretary of State
[Received January 20—10:30 a.m.]
26. Embassy’s 25, January 19, noon. Local postal official states that his office has received no order from the Hopei-Chahar Political Council to turn over revenue other than revenue obtained from revenue stamps reported in Embassy’s 18, January 15, noon.
- Foreign Affairs Committee of the Council was inaugurated this morning. It has 10 members with Chen Chung Fu as chairman. (See paragraph 4 of Embassy’s 17, January 14, 4 p.m.). The chairman of the Economic Committee (reference paragraph 3 of the above-mentioned telegram) is Hsiao Chen Ying.
- According to one of Sung Che Yuan’s subordinates, the office of the special delegate of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Peiping will soon be abolished as a result of the inauguration of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
- The Peiping-Tientsin garrison headquarters was abolished January 15 and the Hopei-Chahar Pacification headquarters, of which Sung is Commissioner, was inaugurated the same day.
- The Embassy is informed that the dispute between Yin Ju Keng and the Peiping-Mukden Railway over railway revenue from that part of the line which runs through the demilitarized zone has been settled by the railway agreeing to pay Yin $100,000 per month and that Yin’s railway office has been abolished.
By mail to Tokyo.