The Consul at Geneva ( Gilbert ) to the Secretary of State
[Received June 26—7:35 a.m.]
250. Consulate’s 249, June 24, 7 p.m.
1. The instructions thus far received by Latin American representatives here respecting the position they will take on the chief issues in the forthcoming Council-Assembly meetings are in substance as follows:
- Uruguay: To act in complete concert with Argentina. The Uruguayan Minister in London has recently visited Geneva to facilitate this end.
- Bolivia: Same as Uruguay.
- Colombia: Generally to favor the initiative of Argentina re nonrecognition.
- Panama: Same as Colombia.
- Peru: To support the removal of sanctions; to support nonrecognition in principle but that action should be left to individual states.
- Chile: To bring forward in the Council a general project for League reform; no instructions thus far respecting other issues.