611.5631/210: Telegram

The Secretary of State to the Minister in the Netherlands (Emmet)

24. Your 37, May 29.9 I am very anxious to avoid delaying the Dutch negotiations. If Lamping will not be free until the middle of [Page 586] July and he is the one to carry on these negotiations, I suppose there is little that we can do. Nevertheless, a delay until September might not be in the best interests of arriving at a satisfactory agreement, since a delay of that length may require new studies and new findings as to concessions which this Government will be prepared to make. On the basis of our present studies and in the light of the present situation, we feel that a very satisfactory agreement can readily be reached. If you feel that any useful purpose will be served, I suggest that you might again talk this matter over with the Foreign Office.

The Dutch Legation here has not, according to Molekamp, received instructions to request a delay until September.

  1. Not printed.