Joint Resolution Passed by the Liberian Legislature January 30, 1926, Approving the Agreements Concluded Between the Government of Liberia and the Firestone Plantations Company, September 16 and 17, 192511
It is resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Liberia in Legislature assembled:
- Section 1. That the Agreements
concluded by and between the Government of the Republic of
Liberia and the Firestone Plantations Company dated September 16
and 17, 1925 be and the same are hereby approved subject to the
following modifications to wit:
- That the exemption from taxation provided for in the Agreements numbers one and two shall not affect the liability of the Company for the payment of the Emergency Relief Fund and to taxation on vehicles;
- That the number of white employees to be brought into Liberia by the Company shall in no case exceed fifteen hundred men;
- That the Company is liable to the payment of rent upon all areas of land selected by them as and when such areas are selected;
- That the words “Articles for the welfare of the employees” (used in Agreement number two, Article two, Clause b) connote only hospital supplies and games;
- That the words “before so doing” occurring in Article IV Clause (d) of Agreement number two be stricken out;
- That Clause N, Article IV of Agreement number two be
deleted and the following Clause substituted therefor:
All or any questions in dispute arising out of these Agreements which cannot be harmonized or adjusted by the Lessee and the Government, shall be referred to the Liberian Courts for Arbitration. Should, however, the Lessee feel aggrieved at the final decision of the Liberian Courts then the Government agrees to arrange with the United States Department of State for a further arbitration of the question or questions submitted by both parties.
- Section 2. The President is hereby authorized and empowered to take all measures necessary to put into effect these Agreements subject to the provisions of this Joint Resolution.
Any law to the contrary notwithstanding.
- Printed from Acts Passed by the Legislature of the Republic of Liberia During the Session 1925–1926 (Monrovia, Government Printing Office, 1926), ch. vii, p. 7.↩