File No. 300.115/5650
The Ambassador in Great Britain (Page) to the Secretary of State
[Received 8.50 p. m.]
3066. My 2790 September 14, 5 p.m., and your 2179, September 27, 7 p. m., regarding Metz salvarsan.1 Foreign Office still claiming that no decision yet reached by the French Government in this matter and that they cannot do anything until they receive word from France. I am in receipt of telegram from Embassy, Paris, stating that no decision yet reached by the French Government but that Embassy is led to believe that the British Government unwilling to grant desired authorization except as regards tissue dyes which, I am informed, are of no importance. Suggest if possible that the Department give definite statement that patent laws prevent introduction of French equivalent into the United States and instruct Embassy, Paris, and myself to maintain urgent informal representations asking permission on humanitarian grounds.
- Neither printed.↩