Mr. Uhl to Mr. Sherman.

No. 309.]

Sir: Referring to my dispatch No. 228, of December 31, 1896, I have the honor to append hereto a memorandum report of certain military cases—more particularly mentioned below—which have either not yet [Page 202] been referred to in my correspondence with the Department or, having already been reported, have now been favorably concluded, and to be, sir,

Your obedient servant,

Edwin F. Uhl.
[Inclosure in No. 309.]

Military case report.

Frank Nachtigall was born at Schkolen, August 27, 1866, and after performing military service in Prussia, emigrated in 1891 to the United States, where he became naturalized as a citizen on the 27th of June last. In July he returned to Germany on a short visit to his parents, having left again early in September, and on the 22d of August he was, in order to avoid arrest and imprisonment, compelled to pay a fine of 50 marks, on account of his failure to report to the military authorities. The case was first brought to the attention of the embassy on August 26, 1896, and after investigating it, and after receiving from Nachtigall the evidence of his American citizenship, which he had not brought with him when he came from America, intervention was made on October 17 last (F. O. 110), which resulted in the refunding to Nachtigall of the money which he had been compelled to pay.
Ludwig Goldschmidt, a naturalized American citizen of German origin, applied to the embassy on January 8, 1897, for its aid in expediting a decision by the Prussian authorities as to whether or not certain money which he had been compelled to pay in order to avoid arrest on account of his not having performed military service was to be refunded to him. The embassy intervened at once (F. O. 150) with the result that a decision in Goldschmidt’s favor was given and the money in question returned to his representative in Breslau, Goldschmidt himself having gone back to the United States in the meantime.
Henry Goken was born at Minsen, Oldenburg, August 3, 1865, and emigrated in 1883 to the United States, where he became naturalized, at New York, on August 5, 1891. He returned to Germany on a visit to his relatives, and on the 14th of January last, intending to leave again, which intention he eventually carried out on February 23. On February 2 he was obliged to pay a fine of 1,000 marks in order to avoid arrest and imprisonment, on account of his failure to report himself for military duty. The case was brought to the attention of the embassy on February 11, and, after preliminary investigation, intervention was made on the 15th (F. O. 178), with the result that the money paid by Goken was ordered to be refunded to his representative in Oldenburg early in March.
Wendel Gillen (see case No. 3, in Dispatch No. 228), having returned to America before his case had been finally settled, asked the intervention of the embassy to the end that the money which was to be refunded should be paid to his father, Mr. Nic Gillen, at Heisterberg. Application was accordingly made on December 31, 1896 (F. O. 144), and on March 21 the embassy was informed by Mr. Nic Gillen that he had received the money.
Fred Mossier, an American citizen of Alsatian origin, after an absence from Germany for several years, returned to his former home at Balbronn in December, 1896, and remained there, with the permission of the authorities, for about two months, engaged in settling the estate of his deceased grandfather. About the 24th of February Mr. Mossier left Alsace under the impression that he would be expelled if he should remain there any longer, and applied to the embassy for its good offices in obtaining permission to return and to remain at Balbronn for another month. The embassy at once acted upon his request (F. 0. 183), with the result that Mr. Mossier was able to return on March 7, and that permission has been granted him to remain until the 7th of April next.