347. Telegram From the Mission to the United Nations to the Department of State and the White House1
1685. Subject: Ambassador Kirkpatrick’s Meeting with General Ricardo Pena. Ref: USUN 1668.2
1. (C–Entire text)
2. Air Force Gen. Ricardo Pena called on Amb. Kirkpatrick evening of June 15. Amb. Sorzano was also present.
3. Gen. Pena began by recounting military events during the last few days in the Falklands. He indicated that 775 Argentinian soldiers had been killed in the last 24 hours. Those casualties led to an Argentinian cease fire. He itemized the terms of surrender (as reported in USUN 1668) and indicated that in their view, the US had prevailed in softening UK terms. Pena continued by saying that these would be difficult times for Argentina, with domestic turbulence probably leading to the departure of Gen. Galtieri.3 Argentina was most interested in continuing US support for Security Council Resolution 502, and asked what could Argentina do in the immediate future? Amb. Kirkpatrick responded by saying that they should continue their intensive dialogue with the SYG, with their neighbors and with appropriate American officials such as Asst. Secretary Enders.
4. Gen. Pena predicted that US/Argentina relations would be difficult for “the next five to ten years”. The sooner we started rebuilding these relationships the better. He suggested that prompt removal of US economic sanctions would be a very powerful and positive signal which could get the process started.
5. Finally, Gen. Pena provided Amb. Kirkpatrick with an Argentine analysis of the military losses inflicted by the air force on UK forces. This analysis is as follows:[Page 714]
Argentine Air Force Actions
|Offensive Actions||1 May 1982–10 June 1982|
|Navy Materials||Argentina’s Claims||UK Claims|
|Sir Galahad||sunk||damaged heavily|
|Sir Tristan||damaged heavily||" "|
|Sir Belvedere||damaged heavily||—|
|Sea Harrier||15 shot down||13 shot down|
|Sea King Helicopter||12 shot down||5 shot down|
|Lynx Helicopter||2 shot down|
|Gazelle Scout Hel.||4 shot down||4 shot down|
|Wessex Helicopter||2 shot down||2 lost—bad weather|