54. Note From the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Brzezinski) to President Carter 1
At the Vice President’s request, I have prepared a revised version of the options memo,2 putting forth a compromise option which was developed in consultation with Secretary Brown and Admiral Turner. Secretary Brown could live with this arrangement, although it is at the edge of his position. Admiral Turner continues to insist that he must have line authority.
The Vice President has read the memo and the proposed Presidential Directive and concurs in them.
If you plan to sign the PD, I believe it would be helpful if you also touched base with Stan and Harold to let them know personally of your decision.3
- Source: Carter Library, National Security Affairs, Brzezinski Material, Brzezinski Office File, Box 95, Subject Chron: Intelligence, 8/77. Confidential.↩
- Attached but not printed. See Document 55.↩
- Brzezinski added an asterisk after this sentence and wrote at the bottom of the page, “* I will show them the proposed PD.”↩
- Brzezinski signed “Zbig” above this typed signature. Carter wrote beneath Brzezinski’s signature, “Zbig—Get memo comments from Stan—bring directly to me. J.C.”↩