222. Memorandum From the Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Equal Employment Opportunity (Burroughs) to the Acting Under Secretary of State for Management (Conlin)1
- Request for Assistance in Locating Top-Level Managers to Attend Up-Coming “Executive EEO Seminar”
On April 24, F.S.I. will present a day-long management level EEO course for personnel in ICA and the State Department. This course was purchased at no small expense from a New York consulting firm, and is designed specifically for top-level managers. Frankly, response to FSI’s course announcement has been not just disappointing—it is non-existent.
The course is limited to 30 people. ICA has nominated 15 top-level managers; for our side of the house, BEX is sending 10, M/EEO is sending the new Federal Women’s Program Manager, and four slots remain unfilled. We’re glad to see that BEX is sending so many people, because one of our key goals is to increase their EEO sensitivity and awareness. However, the need for increased sensitivity is just as great among the top-level managers of the other bureaus. Also, we need some feedback from bureau people to help us determine if this course represents money well spent.
Could you assist us by urging four top-level bureau managers to attend?
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Records of the Under Secretary for Management (M), 1978–1979, Box 11, Chron April 18–23, 1979. No classification marking.↩
- Attached but not printed.↩
- Beneath the text, Burroughs wrote, “As you can see by the attached letter from Amb. Reinhardt, he has personally requested his top people to attend—thus some of ICA’s area directors will be attending—” Reinhardt’s letter is attached but not printed.↩