272. Memorandum From the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Brzezinski) to Secretary of State Vance and Secretary of Defense Brown 1
- Fiscal Year 1977 Foreign Military Sales
Because of the President’s interest in monitoring the level of foreign military sales, the Department of State, in coordination with the Department of Defense, should provide the following Foreign Military Sales dollar amounts for the periods October 1, 1976, to January 19, 1977, and January 20, 1977 to September 30, 1977, respectively (in current dollars):
1. Foreign Military Sales agreements signed;
2. Letters of Offer and Acceptance extended, but not signed;
3. Letters of Offer and Acceptance pending (sales finally approved, but LOA not extended);
4. Letters of Offer and Acceptance projected, but not currently pending.
Also, on the basis of these figures, please provide a total dollar estimate of Foreign Military Sales agreements which will be signed in Fiscal Year 1977; i.e., the figure which will be reported in next year’s Congressional Presentation Document.
A reply is requested by June 10, 1977.
- Source: Carter Library, National Security Affairs, Staff Material, Global Issues, Mathews Subject File, Box 2, Arms Sales: Dollar Volume/Ceiling: 4/77–8/78. Secret.↩