178. Telegram From the Department of State to the Embassy in Saudi Arabia1
11799. For Ambassador West. Subject: Joint US-Saudi Planning Committee. Ref: Jidda 0346.2
(S) Entire text.
1. The major issues raised in reftel will obviously have to be the subject of high-level discussion here. In the meantime, however, we think you should give Prince Saud an indication that this message has been received and is being given serious consideration. Obviously, the [Page 578] subjects raised will be on the agenda both for Secretary Brown’s visit to Saudi Arabia3 and Prince Fahd’s visit to Washington.
2. Please tell Prince Saud, therefore, that Washington welcomes in principle the prospect of closer consultation on those matters. You should also say that Secretary Brown will be prepared to discuss these regional security issues during his February visit to Saudi Arabia, and that we expect them to be high on the agenda for the conversation between President Carter and Crown Prince Fahd.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Foreign Policy File, P850027–2437. Secret; Immediate; Nodis. Drafted by Saunders; cleared by Quandt and Richard Castrodale (S/S–O) and in draft by Secretary Brown; approved by Newsom. Sent for information Immediate to the White House.↩
- See Document 177.↩
- Brown visited Saudi Arabia February 10–12 as part of a larger 10-day tour of the Middle East. See Documents 15–17, 19, 20, and 184–186.↩