39. National Security Decision Memorandum 2651
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of the Treasury
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Attorney General
- The Secretary of the Interior
- The Secretary of Agriculture
- The Secretary of Commerce
- The Director of Central Intelligence
- The National Security Council System
The provisions of NSDM 1 and NSDM 2,2 dated January 20, 1969, as amended and extended by subsequent National Security Decision Memoranda, which set forth the organization and procedures of the National Security Council System, are reaffirmed and remain in effect.
The National Security Council System shall assist me in carrying out my responsibilities for national security affairs and the National Security Council shall continue to be the principal forum for consideration of policy issues requiring Presidential determination. The operation of the National Security Council System will continue to be under the direction of the Assistant to the President (National Security Affairs). Communications to me relating to national security matters shall be transmitted through the Assistant to the President (National Security Affairs).
Henry A. Kissinger is hereby designated as Assistant to the President (National Security Affairs).
- Source: Ford Library, National Security Adviser, National Security Decision Memoranda and National Security Study Memoranda, 1974–1977, Box 1, NSDM File, NSDM 265 The National Security Council System, 8/9/74. Confidential. Copies were sent to the Director of the OMB, the Counselor to the President for Economic Policy, the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs, the Administrator of the Federal Energy Administration, the Administrator of AID, the Director of ACDA, the Chairman of the CEA, the Chairman of the JCS, the Chairman of the AEC, and the Executive Director of the CIEA.↩
- NSDMs 1
and 2 are printed in
Foreign Relations, 1969–1976, volume II, Organization and Management of U.S. Foreign Policy, 1969–1972, Documents 10 and 11. NSDM 1 established the National Security Decision and Study Memoranda series. NSDM 2 reorganized the NSC system under President Nixon.↩