138. National Security Decision Memorandum 2241
- The Secretary of State
- The Acting Secretary of Defense
- The Director of Central Intelligence
- National Net Assessment Process, NSSM 178
The President, upon review of the paper prepared and submitted in compliance with NSSM 1782 and the comments of the NSCIC Principals thereon, has approved the recommendations of the Ad Hoc Group and wishes to proceed with a program of national net assessment. To this end:
—A permanent Net Assessment Standing Committee is established, having representation from the Departments of State and Defense, and the Director of Central Intelligence, and chaired by a representative of the National Security Council Staff.
—Requests for net assessments will be issued as National Security Study Memoranda.[Page 639]
—Net assessments prepared in accordance with these NSSMs will be forwarded to the Chairman of the NSCIC for review by that Committee.
Addressees should forward to me the names of their representatives to the Net Assessment Standing Committee.
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Box 364, Subject Files, NSDMs Nos. 145–264. Secret. A copy was sent to Moorer.↩
- Document 136.↩