90. Telegram From the Joint Chiefs of Staff to All Commanders of Unified and Specified Commands1
Washington, October 28, 1969, 2313Z.
- (TS) Ref A informed of worldwide readiness test and solicited comments from CINCs.
- (TS) Ref B extended termination date of readiness test.
- (TS) All activities supporting the increased readiness test will be terminated effective 300001Z October 69. Units involved will return to normal operating status.
- Source: National Archives, RG 218, Records of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Records of the Chairman, General Wheeler, Box 111, 381, World-Wide Increased Readiness Posture (Oct. 69). Top Secret; Noforn; Immediate. Drafted by Lieutenant Colonel R. W. Sennewalt, Operations Directorate, Joint Staff, JCS. Copies were sent to Westmoreland, Moorer, Ryan, and Chapman. A handwritten note on the original indicates that Deputy Secretary of Defense Packard concurred.↩
- Document 76.↩
- In JCS telegram 12761, October 14, Wheeler informed Commanders in Chief that the readiness test had been extended until October 30. (National Archives, RG 218, Records of the JCS, Records of the Chairman, General Wheeler, Box 111, 381, World-Wide Increased Readiness Posture (Oct. 69))↩