327. Telegram From the Embassy in Israel to the Department of State1
9056. To Secretary from Sisco. Subject: Memorandum of Understanding. Ref: Tel Aviv 9045.2
Following is final agreed text of Memorandum of Understanding: Begin text: 8 Nov 73. Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Israel and the Government of the United States on agreement between the Governments of Egypt and Israel concerning the ceasefire.
1. Egypt and Israel agree to observe scrupulously the ceasefire on the ground, in the air and on the sea, called for by the UN Security Council. The ceasefire includes all military actions on the part of both parties and therefore rules out blockade of the Straits of Bab-El-Mandeb.
2. Both sides agree that discussions between them will begin immediately to settle the question of “the return to 22 Oct 1973 positions,” in the framework of agreement on the disengagement and separation of forces, under the auspices of the U.N.[Page 914]
3. The town of Suez will receive daily supply of food, water and medicine. All wounded civilians in town of Suez will be evacuated. Details to be agreed upon between both sides.
4. There shall be no impediment to the movement of non-military supply to the East Bank. Details of the routine to be agreed upon by both sides.
5. Inspection of the non-military supply to the East Bank will be according to the following procedure:
A. The western checkpoint on the Cairo–Suez road will be manned by UN personnel. The vehicles carrying non-military supplies and driven by UN drivers will be inspected by UN officers with Israeli officers observing.
B. At the bank of the Canal the unloaded supplies will be inspected by Israeli officers with UN officers observing.
6. As soon as the UN checkpoint is established in accordance with the provisions of para 5 above, there will be an immediate exchange of all POWs (including all those Israelis and Egyptians held since 1969), with first priority for all wounded POWs. End text.
- Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, NSC Files, Kissinger Office Files, Box 139, Country Files, Middle East, Secretary Kissinger’s Trip to Middle East, November 5–10, 1973. Secret; Flash; Cherokee; Nodis; Exdis. Also sent Flash to the U.S. delegation in Riyadh and to Jidda.↩
- Document 326.↩