[Page 481]

172. Transcript of Telephone Conversation Between Secretary of State Kissinger and the Soviet Ambassador (Dobrynin)1

D. Hello.

K. I just talked to Hume [Home].2 They have been talking to Sadat and Sadat says they will never accept a straight ceasefire.

D. They discussed directly with Sadat? I must send a telegram to Moscow right away . . .

K. I am pressing them and they will call me back in three hours.

D. Both our countries will abstain. Even in this case it is my firm decision . . .

K. We will still press the British to . . .

D. If Sadat even told them so, we will definitely abstain and will keep our word in this case. If we both abstain it will be of political significance. What is now the problem? The British are not decided?

K. The British are reluctant because they think that Sadat will not agree to it. If Moscow could talk to him.

D. In three hours I will not get an answer unless I go by ordinary telephone.

K. No, that is too dangerous.

D. I think so. Really, even if he said so . . .

K. Because the British are afraid of Sadat saying no and going ahead . . .

D. Maybe we should go with Australia.

K. That is what we will do. Australia has nothing to lose with Egypt. I will be in touch with you in three hours. I will try to do something by tonight.

  1. Source: National Archives, Nixon Presidential Materials, Kissinger Telephone Conversations, Transcripts (Telcons), Chronological File, Box 23. No classification marking.
  2. The transcript is ibid. Printed in Kissinger, Crisis, pp. 222–225.