290. Telegram From the Interests Section in Egypt to the Department of State1
1506. Ref: Cairo 1009.2
1. In reftel USInt reported statement allegedly made by Sadat to his old political crony, Mohammed Dakroury, that Egypt would launch offensive across Suez Canal between April 15 and May 15 of this year. Our source now reports that on May 19 he asked Dakroury about Sadat’s statement pointing out that May 15 had passed.
2. Dakroury replied that Sadat had indeed intended to attack but had been dissuaded by the Soviets who had told Sadat he would have to wait at least two years before he could attack and win. Dakroury said that Sadat will not accept a two year delay and will attack much sooner than that.