147. Telegram From the Department of State to the Embassy in Israel1
128626. Deliver to Ambassador 0700 Sunday.
1. Please convey following message from Secretary to Prime Minister Meir:
2. QUOTE I have been informed by Assistant Secretary Sisco of your telephone conversation with him August 6 and of the feelings you expressed in the message conveyed by Ambassador Rabin the evening of August 7.2
3. It is a matter of deep regret to me that any difficulty has arisen between us since over the weeks and months we have been working so closely together as good friends should. All of our efforts have been devoted to the task of bringing about a secure ceasefire which we hope will stop the needless bloodshed and of getting negotiations started between you and your neighbors. We have pursued this difficult course in the conviction that it offers the only hope of moving toward that secure peace which is your highest aspiration as it is ours.[Page 501]
4. We shall remain firm in support of the principles we share. We are determined to continue to move forward in a spirit of cooperation and friendship to our common goal of a just and lasting peace. I want to assure you, Madame Prime Minister, of my full respect and support. UNQUOTE