74. Telegram From the Department of State to the Embassy in Chile1
Washington, September 10, 1970, 0048Z.
147740. Ref: Santiago 3548.2 Eyes Only for Ambassador from Crimmins.
1. In spite of categorical nature your statements, I must assume Station Chief is privy to reftel and its implications. Is that assumption correct?
2. If it is not, you should understand that reftel must be discussed by us with CAS Headquarters here as part of our continuing examination of courses of action possibly open to us. They, as well as we, have taken Santiago 35373 at face value, and misconceptions created by it must be corrected.
3. Please comment by 8:00 AM Thursday, September 10.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Central Files 1970–73, POL 14 CHILE. Secret; Immediate. Drafted and approved by Crimmins; cleared by Rueckert in S/S.↩
- Document 73.↩
- Document 68.↩