7. Memorandum for the Record1
- Minutes of the Meeting of the 303 Committee, 15 April 1969
- Mr. Kissinger, Mr. Johnson, and Mr. Helms
- Colonel Alexander Haig and Mr. William Trueheart were present for all items.
- Mr. William Broe was present for Item 1.
1. Final Report on March 1969 Chilean Congressional Election and Oral Briefing on Covert Action Operations in Latin America
a. Mr. Broe briefed the members on covert activities in the Latin American area. In the discussion of the final report on the successful [Page 19] limited Chilean congressional election operation of March 1969,2 the Chairman raised the question of whether anything should be done with regard to the presidential election in Chile in September 1970. He stated that in a recent conversation a friend of higher authority had urged higher authority to provide assistance to rightist Alessandri in the 1970 presidential election. The members conceded that Alessandri’s prospects are reasonably good but decided no immediate steps are necessary since the presidential candidates are not yet formally declared.
b. Mr. Helms noted that when the candidates are declared an early decision should be taken on whether or not there is to be covert support to any candidate. He observed that a great deal of preliminary work is necessary, and CIA has learned through experience that an election operation will not be effective unless an early enough start is made.
[Omitted here is discussion unrelated to Chile.]