366. Memorandum From the Chief of the Western Hemisphere Division, Directorate of Operations, Central Intelligence Agency (Phillips) to the Executive Secretary of the 40 Committee (Ratliffe)1
- Cancellation of 20 August 1973 40 Committee Approval
1. On 20 August 1973 the 40 Committee approved $1,000 for support of Chilean political parties and private sector organizations opposed to the Allende regime. The military coup of 11 September 1973 changed the situation in Chile so completely that we no longer consider the 20 August 1973 40 Committee approval to be valid.2
2. In due course we intend to submit a new memorandum for the 40 Committee describing proposed new political and covert action operations in Chile.
- Source: Department of State, Bureau of Intelligence and Research, INR/IL Historical Files, Box 1, 40 Committee Action After September 1970. Secret.↩
- Kissinger concurred on November 3. (National Security Council, Nixon Intelligence Files, Subject Files, 40 Committee Minutes) (S)↩
- Printed from a copy that indicates Phillips signed the original.↩