143. Backchannel Message From the Ambassador to Chile (Korry) to the Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs (Johnson) and the President’s Assistant for National Security Affairs (Kissinger)1
1. I today sent MinDefense Ossa following letter:
“Dear Mr. Minister:
“I refer to your note NR 4195/62 of September 30 in which you write of future training for Chilean military personnel.
“Unfortunately, I am unable to make commitments of any kind on this or any other United States military training not already underway. I feel that it is necessary in the present situation to hold in abeyance all such activity for the time being. As I am sure you can appreciate, it would be inadvisable, before a new Government of Chile has established its policies, for personnel of the Chilean Armed Forces presently scheduled for training in Panama or the United States to make firm travel plans under the United States Military Assistance Program.”
2. Last night I informed Ossa privately of this decision and also told him that FMS and MAP matériel deliveries would be held in abeyance until policies of the new government are established. I told him not to cite me as source but could say to key officers that he believed this U.S. decision had been made.
3. Military Group members and attachés here will simply repeat line set down in letter (Para 1) when approached by their Chilean counterparts on question of MAP training. They are uninformed on FMS decision and we plan say nothing here for time being about matériel deliveries.
4. I assume you will inform USCINCSO of these decisions and manner of their implementation.[Page 348]
5. Contingency press guidance in your message of 1 October (#3–10–70)3 has our concurrence. If matter does leak, I do believe it might be advisable to explain on background not for attribution that U.S. Government is simply holding military programs in abeyance until new Chilean Government’s policies are clarified.
- Source: National Archives, RG 59, Chile–ITT–CIA 1963–1977, Lot 81D121, Documents Requested by the Department of Justice, 1970–1977. Secret; Sensitive; Eyes Only.↩
- Not found.↩
- This message, most likely instructions to Korry based upon the decisions reached at the September 29 meeting of the 40 Committee (see Document 127), was not found.↩