129. Telegram From the Central Intelligence Agency to the Station in Chile1
1. Reviewing COS discussions at Headquarters, following three officers are key figures in military planning, and priority effort will be made to contact and influence:
A. [name not declassified] understand Station now in touch through [name not declassified].
B. General Valenzuela.
C. [name not declassified].
2. We should make it clear to these officers individually now that political solution ruled out, USG shares President Frei’s view that military solution is only answer.
3. Next step is to attempt reunion of [less than 1 line not declassified] together. They are to be assured that USG will provide the support and pledges they demand, and welcomes indications as to the dimensions of such support.
4. Other military figures, who might play decisive roles will be approached when possible. COS will use [less than 1 line not declassified] and false flag staffers at his discretion.