260. National Security Council Decision Memorandum 571
- The Secretary of State
- The Secretary of Defense
- The Attorney General
- The Director of Central Intelligence
- Actions to Protect U.S. Forces in South Vietnam
Based on the National Security Council meeting of April 26, 1970,2 I direct that the following steps be taken to protect U.S. forces operating in South Vietnam:
- —Authorization for the conduct of ground operations by U.S. forces or by US/GVN forces into identified North Vietnamese/Viet Cong sanctuaries in Cambodia up to a depth of 30 kilometers. With the exception of the operation against Base Area 352/353, U.S. or combined US/ARVN operations against specific base areas will be submitted to me for approval on a case-by-case basis.
- —Authorization for the provision of U.S. tactical air/helicopter and artillery up to a depth of 30 kilometers in all base areas north of and including 352/353.
The Washington Special Actions Group is designated as the implementing authority for these steps.